Q&A | Krystle Kemp


Krystle Kemp is the fashion director of Need Supply Co., one of the preeminent sources for indie fashion labels with a sophisticated edit. I've long been a fan of Need Supply Co., but never thought of it as a real brick and mortar store based in Richmond. I just assumed it was part of the New York City online ether, but it's actually been a 3-D store since 1996. Need Supply Co. started by selling vintage clothing to Virginians and has grown incredibly since its days hawking old pairs of 501s. In 2008 the store went online and quickly made a global name for itself. Not only do they have customers all over the planet, but they also have a insanely beautiful biannual publication called Human Being Journal with their fourth issue forthcoming. Kemp, who is originally from Zimbabwe, has been involved with the store almost since its beginning, from working as a stylist, booking models, and editing photos, to becoming the women's buyer, to now the fashion director of both the store and magazine. Her latest look book, Elevated Basics, is pure genius.

If not in Richmond, I would live in...Cape Town, South Africa.

My dream vacation would be to...Bali to visit my friend Rika.

My current obsessions are... 

Food: Goat cheese with honey and sottocenere al tartufo (Italian cheese with truffles).

Music: Phosphorescent (Song for Zula on repeat), St. Lucia, and Jackson Browne.

Fashion: Fire Engine Red slip-on sneakers, Vans, culottes, Studio Nicholson, and all the great designers we work with based in L.A.: Jasmin Shokrian, Building Block, Shaina Mote, et al.

Retail Stores: Harvest, my neighborhood grocery store and Little Paper Planes in San Francisco.

I channel my childhood self when I...run. I’m running the New York and Richmond marathons this year.

The fictional character I most relate to is…Anne of Green Gables. 

If I had to be outdoors all day I would...go for a run in the sunshine, have a picnic with my 6-year-old daughter Zooey, or ride my bike.

My favorite quality in a man is...honesty and good manners.

My favorite quality in a woman is...confidence and worldliness.

I'm terrified of...cold water

My dream car is a...vintage Land Rover Defender. All the farmers in Kent, England drive the old Land Rovers.

My cocktail of choice is...a gin & tonic with a lemon slice.

My celebrity crush is...Phoebe Philo.

My beauty product of choice is...rosy blush from Ilia. Also into Argan Oil in any form.

My friends and I like to...eat good food, oysters, drink wine, and go for runs (not in that order, however.)

If I could go back in time for one decade it would be...Ernest Hemingway's 1930s Africa.

As a teenager I was totally into...Courtney Love, metallic lipstick, and things with dragons on them.

I tend to splurge on... food! I spend all my money on fancy cheese, truffle honey, and good wine.

My obsession with newness, learning, and adventure...is what makes me have Tomboy Style.

Comments

Meredith said…
Loved her answers - I'm a HUGE fan of Need Supply Co.
Cash Machine said…
Yeah Krystle! Heart Phoebe.
Danielle said…
LOVE Need Supply!
alice said…
Great post!
Need Supply has impeccable style. It is interesting to see the person behind the style. Really enjoyed this interview with Krystle.
Amanda said…
I've always been impressed with Need Supply Co's style and loved the Elevated Basic lookbook! I had no idea their fashion director was from SA. No wonder the site is so cool!

Popular Posts